CJFE monitors, defends and reports on free expression and access to information in Canada and abroad. Rooted in the field of journalism, we promote a free media as essential to a fair and open society. CJFE boldly champions the free expression rights of all people, and encourages and supports individuals and groups in the protection of their own and others’ free expression rights.
The job will be a 12-month, full-time contract position with the possibility of roll over into a full-time, permanent position. Primary duties will include writing and copy editing content for the CJFE website, assisting with the publication of CJFE’s annual Review of Free Expression in Canada, coordinating logistics for the annual CJFE Gala: A Night to Honour Courageous Reporting, helping with membership engagement, and other miscellaneous tasks as needed. The employee will report to the CJFE Executive Director.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- • Writing, copy editing, and fact-checking assignments for CJFE’s Review of Free Expression in Canada and CJFE.org
- • Assisting with the annual CJFE Gala: A Night to Honour Courageous Reporting (tracking ticket sales and sponsor payments, communicating with committee members, etc.)
- • Conducting research on press freedom issues and other topics in Canada and internationally
- • Writing alerts and press releases on behalf of CJFE
- • Contributing to CJFE’s social media accounts
- • Assisting with other educational and outreach events as needed
- • Assisting with membership outreach
- • Undertaking other duties as needed
- • Excellent written communication skills
- • Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- • Strong copy editing skills
- • Strong attention to detail
- • Minimum undergraduate degree in a related field (journalism, international relations, etc.)
- • Strong Excel skills
- • Interest in and knowledge of current affairs and free expression issues
- • Previous experience (work or voluntary) with event planning considered an asset
- • Fact checking experience considered an asset
- • Previous journalism experience considered an asset
- • Bilingualism considered an asset
- • Website development, graphic design skills and experience with HTML considered an asset
Meeting these requirements is important. However, passion, intelligence, a strong work ethic and a willingness to learn is what the job requires above all else. We will be open to applications from strong candidates who possess these qualities even if they don’t meet all the requirements outlined above.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Remuneration: $20,000 annually
How to apply: Submit an application including current CV, cover letter and clippings by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, January 26, 2015.
We thank you for your interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Interviews of short-listed candidates will likely take place in the first week of February. Start date will be as soon as possible following the interviews.
Canadian Journalists for Free Expression